Jun 29, 2018

5 Homeschooling Mistakes I Have Made

What better way to embarrass myself than to share some mistakes I have made in homeschooling. (hahaha)
I wanted to share these mistakes with you so you can learn from some of the things I did. Also, I wanted to show that you are not alone in making mistakes. Here we go, my 5 homeschooling mistakes I have made.


1. Rushing my son to read.
In my first year of homeschooling, I was so concerned with keeping my son on track with what kids his age are doing. All this did was bring stress into his time for learning. He was scared to make a mistake and when he did make a mistake I got annoyed. I was worried that if he wasn't doing exactly what kids in public school could do that it meant I was failing as a homeschooler. Oh, how I was mistaken.
I am now much more relaxed and my son has since made some huge improvements in reading.


2. Stick to the curriculum
For whatever reason, I thought I had to stick to the curriculum and not wonder. My children would want to learn about something else but I was so focused on what the curriculum laid out that I didn't let them explore topics they wanted.


3. Not taking breaks.
Everyone has a bad day, including kids. Instead of allowing them to have a break on their bad days, I pushed them through their lessons. This didn't do anyone a favor and often times ending up with someone crying.
Breaks are a good thing!



4. Buying into others opinions about curriculums.

I have wasted money in buying curriculum just because a blogger recommended it. I didn't do any research of my own but blindly trusted the opinion of someone else. I have since come to learn to not do this.


5. Comparing.
This is my number 1 mistake! I have compared my homeschool to others homeschool and my children to their children. Don't go down this road. It leads to stress, discouragement, and even bitterness. If you have a hodgepodge unscheduled type of homeschool and it works for your family, then you just go ahead and do that. 


There you have it, 5 homeschooling mistakes I have made. I hope you can learn from these as I did. I would love to hear from you in the comments, what are some mistakes you have made?

No comments:

Post a Comment